Tuesday, 18 November 2008
Small brinjals 5 nos. (cleaned and tops removed and sliced vertically into strips - say like finger chips)
Onion one large, finely chopped
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp.
Chili powder 1/4 tsp.
Curry leaves 8 nos
cumin seed 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste 2 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Procedure to make Baingan Masala :
1. Heat oil in a kadai or pan and when hot add cumin seeds and musterd seeds and when they splutter, in goes the sliced onions.
2. When they are just about done, say a little browned, add in the powders ( turmeric + chili) and saut.
3. Now put in the sliced brinjals and toss around the masala adding salt to taste and close the pan and cook on slow flame.
4. Stir in between so that the brinjals doesn't get burnt. If it needs little more oil, do be generous. Cook on slow flame till done. Garnish with coriander leaves.
5. Serve with hot rice or puris or chappatis.