Masala Khichadi or Mung ki Khichadi or Waranga is one of my favouriate rice dish especially when cooked by Mom.It looks very easy to cook but a small imablane in proportion can spoil the taste.So it took a long time to make the perfect masala khichadi for me.The name Waranga originated from a Village in Maharashtra ,which is famous for this masala khichadi where we ate this Khichadi for the first time.It is not only spicy and delicious but good for health and light to eat.
Rice 1 cups
Green moong dal 1 cups
Onion (large) 2 no.
Potatoes (small) 2 no.
Coconut (2" piece) 1 no.(optional)
Turmeric powder 1 tsp.
Red chili powder 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds 1 tsp.
Garam masala 1 tsp.
Garlic 6 cloves
Ginger 1 piece
Green chilies 5-6 nos.
Coriander leaves Finely Chopped
Ghee As requried
Oil As requried
Salt To taste
Procedure To Make Masala Khichadi
1. Wash and soak the dal and rice, chop onion and green chilies finely.
2. Mince the coriander leaves, ginger and garlic.
3. Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes.
4. Grind the coconut piece to a fine paste.
5. Fry onions in a combination of 1 tablespoon ghee-1 tablespoon oil.
6. When the onions are light brown add the minced garlic, ginger and green chilies.
7. Then add the garam masala together with the ground coconut.
8. Fry for a while, put in the rice and dal and fry both till crisp.
9. Pour in warm water till it is about 2 inches above the level of the rice. If the water dries up, more warm water may be added.
10.Add potato cubes and salt.
11.When the water starts bubbling, lower the heat and simmer till rice and dal are cooked.
12.Sprinkle coriander leaves on top and 1tsp Ghee before serving.